- Cope with stressful situations
- Combats boredom
- Keeps weight down
- Helps focus
- Fights loneliness and depression
- Allows you leave the stress
- Puts you in a different environment
- Allows you to clear your head
Also, the way you smoke can be relaxing. Taking a deep puff and holding it in for a few seconds is very similar to what’s called relaxation breathing. In relaxation breathing, you take a deep breath, hold it in for a few seconds, and then exhale slowly.
Another benefit of smoking is that is lessens feeling of depression or anxiety. It’s the nicotine in your cigarettes that is responsible for making these feelings go away. Think of the nicotine as a medication, and your cigarette as a medication delivery device.
After taking a puff, the nicotine in the smoke travels to your brain where is causes a chemical reaction. This reaction is what picks up your mood or lessens anxiety.
The nicotine travels to your brain in less than seven seconds. That’s faster than if you were to inject it into your veins, and it’s one of the reasons why nicotine is such an addictive drug.
The anti-depressant and anti-anxiety properties of nicotine explain why so many people who smoke suffer from depression and anxiety. The cigarettes are treating those conditions with every puff!
If you smoke as a way of dealing with depression, then quitting may make you feel depressed. The quit smoking medication Zyban helps in two ways:
- Wards off withdrawal symptoms
- Fights depression
Another beneficial aspect of smoking is that it keeps the weight down. Cigarettes do this by:
- Keeping food in your stomach longer
- Suppressing your appetite
- Artificially speeding up your metabolism
Not everyone gains weight. The typical amount gained is 5 pounds, but some people gain more. There are many effective weight control methods designed to keeps the pounds off when you quit.
Focusing on the benefits of smoking is a good first step because:
- better prepares you to quit
- allows you replace the good side of smoking with things that are safer and healthier for you, while achieving similar results